Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tomatoes & Gazpacho

I am heading out of town tomorrow for a family wedding in Chicago so I won't be posting until I'm back the week of August 8th.  And this week hasn't been a great week for cooking as I've been rushing around a lot before hitting the road.  Fortunately my tomato plants have been very generous with their bounty.  My grape cherry tomatoes are almost the size of small plum tomatoes. I've been eating them right off the vine or with some fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt - yummy!!

The one thing I did manage to make this week was a spicy gazpacho that came out really flavorful with a lot a heat so I've only been consuming it in small amounts. It's so refreshing this time of year.  My "recipe" is below but for me it really is about lots of vegetables in the food processor with ingredients similar to a Bloody Mary.

Have a good week!

Jenabeth's Spicy Gazpacho
2 lbs of tomatoes, cut into chunks - I used a mix of plum, grape cherry & heirloom
1 English Cucumber, peeled & cut into chunks
1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
1 celery heart (inc leaves), ends cut off & cut into chunks
1 red onion, cut into chunks
1/2 jalapeno pepper
3 cloves of garlic
3 T sherry vinegar
3 T balsamic vinegar
2 T Worcestershire Sauce
3-5 T Hot Sauce (to taste)
3 T horseradish
2 cups of V-8 juice
3 T honey

Put all vegetables (tomatoes - garlic) into a food processor and pulse until desired consistency. I like a little pulp to my gazpacho so I leave some texture.  Then add vinegars, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce & horseradish and pulse a few more times.  Transfer to large bowl and add juice.  Whisk in honey to temper the heat.  Chill for several hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment