Monday, July 18, 2011

Lemon Verbena and Mint Iced Tea

My herbs are nothing short of out of control this summer so I am scouring the web to find different ways to use them up.  One of the new herbs I planted this year is lemon verbena which smells so lemony I'm a little addicted to smelling the leaves.  I found a recipe for lemon verbena and mint tea which helps use up one of the other fast-growing plants, mint, in my garden.  I made the tea much stronger than the recipe called for and let is steep longer so that I could put it over ice for iced tea.  It's a very refreshing beverage and I added only a little superfine sugar to heighten the natural sweetness not really sweeten it much. 

Lemon Verbena and Mint Iced Tea
1 cup mint leaves, picked from stems and washed & rinsed
1 cup lemon verbena leaves, pick from stems and washed & rinsed
4 cups water
1 T superfine sugar

Bring water to almost a boil then pour over the leaves and add sugar. Let steep for 1/2 hour.  Strain water into pitcher and serve over ice.




Tea Steeping
Glass of Iced Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment