Sunday, July 3, 2011

4th of July Weekend Roundup

Happy 4th of July to Everyone!

Lots of cooking happening over the holiday weekend so I'm going to post a few recipes and some tips and then get back to hanging out with my family. I made my potato salad for a family cookout tomorrow and I am very picky about my potato salads - I don't like a lot of mayonnaise but it must be Hellmann's and while I like added flavour I don't like a lot of other "stuff".  It's one of those things that I typically only eat my own.  You can find my recipe below.

Last night I went to a friend's cookout and I brought a super easy appetizer that was a big hit. However I can not claim it as my own as my cousins made it several summers ago and I've used it many times since.  It's as simple as buying goat cheese, mango chutney, pita chips and a bunch of cilantro.  And it's one of those salty/sweet/cream/crunchy tastes that hit all cylinders! You can hardly call it a recipe but below you will find the instructions. Apologies for not remembering to take a photo . . but by the time I thought of it the dish was already half way devoured!


Finally, I commandeered the kale I had given to my Mom and made kale chips as an appetizer tonight.  They were pretty good but when I asked my brother how they tasted he said "salt".  I may have over-salted them in my quest to make sure they didn't taste too much like kale.  I worked at our local Friendly's restaurant for 8 years and we used kale as a garnish so that's really what I think of kale as. However I would definitely make them again with a little less salt.   I used Melissa D'Arabian's recipe and I'll list the link below.

Ok before I go here is my tip on corn on the cob - who doesn't love corn on the cob in the summer?  It must be one of my most favorite summer treats.  Two important things in getting to great corn on the cob. First when you are selecting the corn in the store - peel back the husk and check out those ears. Make sure the kernels are good size and have good colour.  If the husks are brown or moldy pass. Another good test is can you feel the kernels through the husk and does it smell like sweet corn.  Smell your produce . . that my grandmother taught me!  And the second key is not to over cook it. I've grilled it both in and out the husk but the easiest & surefire way to cook it is in water on the stove.  Use a large pot big enough to hold all your corn and several inches of water. Put them all together, put the top on, put it on high when the water comes to a boil, let it cook for 3-4 minutes and that is is.

Hope you enjoy whatever you are cooking up this July 4th and be safe! 

Jenabeth's Potato Salad

5 lb bag red bliss potatoes
Kosher Salt
1 small bunch Celery Hearts, diced and include leaves
1 vidalia onion, diced
1 T celery seed
Salt & Pepper
2 Hardboiled Eggs, diced
2 T Dijon Mustard
Hellmann's Mayo (I use the Olive Oil kind)
Handful of Parsley, chopped

I chop the potatoes, leaving the skin on, into bite size chunks.  Put potatoes in a large pot and fill with cold water and add plenty of salt. This is just like cooking pasta - you wants lot of salt in the water so your potatoes get seasoned.  Put on stove, bring to boil and cook until fork tender. 

While potatoes cook put celery, onion, celery seed, salt & pepper, mustard and the eggs into a large bowl. To be honest I don't dice the eggs so much as smush them with my hands! 

When potatoes are done, drain them and put them right back into pot and put on stove (with burned turned off) for 1-2 minutes so the excess water will cook off.  Then add the potatoes to the veggies in the bowl.  I made my salad while my potatoes are still warm - this is when they soak up the flavours the best.  I toss lightly and then start to add the mayo about 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time. I do not like too much mayo so I just add until I think there is enough.  Then TASTE your salad and adjust seasonings - I can be sure it's going to need more salt & pepper.  Finally top with parsley and refrigerate until time to serve.

Goat Cheese & Mango Chutney Appetizer
8 oz log goat cheese
9 oz jar mango chutney (not the hot stuff)
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 bag pita chips, plain


Put goat cheese in middle of platter - it's best if you do this awhile before serving so cheese comes to room temperature.  Pour the bottle of chutney over the cheese.  Sprinkle with cilantro. Arrange pita chips around sides. Enjoy!! 

Kale Chips
Visit http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/crispy-kale-chips-recipe/index.html

MY POTATO SALAD

KALE CHIPS

No comments:

Post a Comment