Thursday, July 14, 2011

One of My Favorites!!!

Tonight it was all about the grill. I made one of my favorite summer dishes - Grilled Vegetables and Israeli Couscous with Lemon and Tarragon.  I'm a little crazy for grilled vegetables in the summer and I made this dish last year and then proceeded to eat it almost every night for a month.  One of the things I do that gives it such flavour is grill paper thin slices of lemon until they are caramelized and practically disintegrated but then chop them up and add them to the dish. Love that bit of tart lemon!  I used the summer squash from this week's haul.  I served a grilled salmon with tonight's veggie & Israeli couscous medley.  Yummy!!

Grilled Vegetables and Israeli Couscous with Lemon and Tarragon
Whole Wheat Israeli Couscous
Assorted Vegetables cut into pieces that can be grilled, I used:
  • Vidalia Onion
  • Red Pepper
  • Crimini Mushrooms
  • Zucchini
1 Lemon
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Fresh Tarragon, roughly chopped

Cook the couscous according to package directions but add the ends of the lemon while cooking to add their lemon flavour.  Meanwhile brush vegetables with olive oil and season with salt & pepper.  Grill vegetables for a few minutes on grill just so they get a char but not too overcooked as they can become mushy.  Slice 1/2 the lemon into paper thin slices, brush those with olive oil and grill as well. 

Transfer cooked couscous with a large bowl.  Add juice from remaining half of lemon and tarragon.  Once the vegetables are done cut them into good size chunks and add to couscous.  Chop lemon slices up as well and add to bowl. Adjust seasoning if necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment