Thursday, July 28, 2011

Week Seven!

Wow summer is getting crazy!  Heading to Chicago next week for my cousin Caroline's wedding plus the baseball season is coming to an end and that means lots of end of season stuff to do.  Both those things mean not a lot of time for cooking.  Luckily its the time of year when veggies are best when just eaten plain . . like fresh tomatoes off the vine! This week we got:


Arugula
Summer Squash
Yellow Fin Potatoes
Napa Cabbage
Cucumbers
Basil
Cilantro
Chard
Sweet Onions
Tomatoes
Carrots

The first thing I did was make up some pesto using parsley from last week, cilantro from this week, mint from my garden and lemon verbena. I added walnuts, Parmesan cheese, olive oil and lemon juice.  I used the pesto in a salad with orzo, peas and feta cheese.  Totally yummy salad and good to bring with you to baseball games!

I am ashamed to admit that some of the veggies from last week were in my fridge and starting to look on the wilted side.  And I had new veggies and am leaving town this weekend. So instead of letting them go to waste, I made stock.  I threw all the veggies and in some cases just tops of onions or carrots into a large pot with cold water.  I added a good size handful of salt, couple tablespoons of peppercorns and bunches of herbs from my garden.  I brought it to a boil, let it simmer for a few hours, strained it, poured into air tight container and put in freezer. Now I have homemade veggie stock next time I want to make a soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment