Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pesto! Pesto!

My basil is growing by leaps and bounds so I decided today to make up a batch of pesto.  Well that gave me a little inspiration so in addition to the traditional basil pesto I made a Pea Tendril and Mint Pesto - yummy, yummy!!!  I also used the garlic scapes instead of a traditional garlic clove.  The aromas coming from the food processor and my hands were delightful. I gave the basil pesto to a friend.  Meanwhile with the Pea Tendril & Mint Pesto I cooked up some orzo and added a bag of frozen peas to make a salad.  This would have been nice with some feta in it as well but I didn't have any on hand. I also added the juice of a lemon to brighten the flavours. 

Oh as a snack at the ballgame last night I ate the rest of last week's radishes and the peas - what an interesting snack between the tangy of the radish and then the sweet of the pea it was satisfying all my taste buds. 

Pea Tendril and Mint Pesto
2 garlic scapes
1 bunch pea tendrils (including stems)
1 bunch mint leaves
handful of pine nuts
few chunks of Parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper
Olive Oil

Put everything except olive oil into food processor and pulse a few times.  Drizzle olive oil into mixture while processor is on until desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning.


Orzo Salad with Pea Tendril and Mint Pesto
4 oz orzo
10 oz bag frozen peas
juice of one lemon
Pea Tendril and Mint Pesto

Cook orzo according to package directions in salted water. For last minute of cooking time add peas.  Drain orzo & peas and then put in large bowl. Add pesto and lemon juice and toss until combined. 

ORZO SALAD

No comments:

Post a Comment