Saturday, July 23, 2011

Watermelon and Feta Salad

Wow it's been hot out there and when you can say that on Cape Cod you know it's really hot!  Tonight we did a little tailgating at the baseball game.  I made my most favorite sandwich in the world - a Cobb Salad Sandwich. I discovered this about 12 years ago at the Hilton Hotel in San Jose and for a while I spent a lot of time in San Jose but it's been years since I've been back. I have re-created the sandwich from time to time.  In order to do it right you need to cook the chicken breast and bacon fresh and then assemble everything in the perfect order.  Oh heck I'll give you my recipe below!  Anyway the Watermelon & Feta Salad which is the true "vegetable" dish that I intended to blog about tonight was a perfect accompaniment and it's a great summer salad that travels well. And it's ridiculously easy.  Here is hoping is cools off!

Watermelon and Feta Salad
1/4 Seedless Watermelon, cut into chunks
8 oz Feta cheese, crumbled*
1 bunch fresh mint, chopped
Olive Oil - maybe 2 T
Pinch of Salt

Mix watermelon, feta and mint lightly. I buy a chunk of feta and crumble myself as opposed to the crumbled feta because I don't think that tastes like feta.  Add olive oil and just a pinch of salt and toss lightly.  

Cobb Salad Sandwich
Scali Bread
Mayo
Chicken Breast
Crisp Bacon
Iceburg Lettuce
Sliced Tomatoes
Sliced Avocado
Blue Cheese, crumbled

I use split chicken breasts and toss them with olive oil, salt & pepper and then cook for 30 mins at 375.  Once cooled I remove the skin and bones and slice the breast meat on the diagonal. 

I cook the bacon in the oven on a baking sheet at 375 for about 15 minutes. Then drain on paper towel.

Ideally you assemble the sandwich when the bacon and chicken are still on the warm side.  Not hot but typically I'd let them rest maybe 30 mins.

Spread just a little may on the bread - the Hilton used sourdough bread but I have trouble finding good sourdough that slices well for sandwiches so I've used the Scali bread for awhile. 

One one side of bread layer, in this order, blue cheese, chicken and avocado. On the other side lettuce, tomato (be sure to salt & pepper your tomato), bacon.  Put together, cut in half and enjoy!

WATERMELON & FETA SALAD
I forgot to take the picture before I left the house so this is my Mother's plate at the game . . and my Brother's foot in the background!

No comments:

Post a Comment