Tuesday, June 28, 2011

New Plan

Well the summer festivities caught up with me and it's been quite a few days since I've been able to cook - let alone post.  I have been making use of a lot of this week's veggies in fresh salads when I've had time to grab a bite at home. Once again I have to tell you how much I am enjoying fresh mint in my salad - it really makes all the other flavours pop and it's a hint of sweet that makes the salad so refreshing.  My new plan is that I expect to post 3 meals a week - this is more realistic a goal and I won't feel guilty for not doing everyday and I'll be much more likely to keep up with this blog. 

Today my goal was to use the rhubarb that has been staring me in the face every time I open the fridge.  A friend of mine who is also part of the CSA mentioned she made rhubarb muffins over the weekend. I decided to go with the classic strawberry and rhubarb pairing, especially since the strawberries are in season right now.  I am not a baker so I bought the rolls of pie dough at the store and when I got home I could not find my pie plates. I think they are at my Mom's for when she makes her 15 pies over Thanksgiving (no that is not an exaggeration).  So instead I decided to make two free form tarts.  They came our pretty good and taste even better.  Of course I probably picked the hottest day of the year so far to have my oven on but I did them early enough in the day that it wasn't too bad.

Check out my "recipe below"

1 box easy to roll pie dough
2 lbs strawberries, cut into 1" slices
1 lb rhubarb, cut into 1/2" slices
1 c white sugar
1/2 c flour
1 T minute tapicoa
1 t salt
1 egg, beaten

I rolled the two pie crusts out a little and then put them on parchment paper on a sheet pan.  I placed those in the fridge to keep cold while I made the filling.



I tossed the strawberries, rhubarb, flour, sugar, tapioca and salt until combined.  Then I piled 1/2 the filling into the middle of each pie crust leaving about a 1 inch edge.  I lifted the edges up over the filling and layered on top of each other. If any dough split I pinched in back together.  I put the tarts in the fridge for 20 minutes.

Before putting in oven I brushed the edges of the tart with the egg. Baked at 400 for 30 minutes.  Removed to wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment