Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Fish Tacos Oh My!!

I have fallen in love with fish tacos over the past 2 years.  I was excited for today's as I was really eager to use the bunch of cilantro as well as the scallions & radishes.  I used the cilantro like lettuce on the tacos with the crunch from the radishes and shredded carrots and the creaminess from the avocado.  I am also not a huge fan of jar salsa for the most part. But I really like the Roasted Salsa Verde from Archer Farms that I can get at Target so that is what I used on the tacos.  These were by far my favorite fish tacos - the fish was light and flaky with that smokey flavour from the cumin and pepper. The toppings were perfect for that great bite!

To accompany the tacos I made a quick black bean salad.  It was a very light lunch for a hot day and really tasty!!  Give these recipes a try.

Black Bean Salad
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained (I prefer Goya)
1/2 jalapeno, minced - I do not remove the seeds as I like the spice
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 handful of grape tomatoes, halved
1 handful of cilantro, finely chopped
1 glug of olive oil
juice of 1 lime
salt & pepper



Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss until veggies & beans are coated in oil and juice.  Serve at room temperature to let flavours come through.

Fish Tacos
12 oz cod fillets
cumin
Chipotle pepper, ground
salt
1/2 lime

6 soft, flour tortillas
1 avocado, halves sliced into 3
juice of half of lime over avocado
shredded carrots
3 radishes, sliced thin
bunch of cilantro, leaves removed from stem but kept whole
1/2 lime, cut into wedges
Your favorite salsa

I sprinkled the cumin, chipotle pepper & salt over the fish and let it sit for a few minutes while I prepped the veggies.  I heated olive oil in a saute pan and added cod while squeezing lime over fish. The fish cooks in less than 5-7 minutes depending on thickness.  Just before the fish is done I heated the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds.

To assemble: lay tortillas on plate and then add fish.  Top with radishes, carrots, cilantro leaves, avocado slice and salsa. Serve with lime wedge on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment