Sunday, June 19, 2011

Everything but the kitchen sink . . in the salad bowl!

I spent the entire day visiting nurseries all over the Cape with my Mom and a friend today.  Then I put in an hour or so in my Mom's garden. We're putting in a whole new garden at her house so it's been taking up a lot of my time this spring.  Anyway I got home starving but in no mood to light up a stove.  I saw the bunch of spinach and arugula in the fridge so I decided to make a huge salad for myself.  I rough chopped both so they were in bit size pieces.  I added the french bell radishes, chive blossoms and from my garden parsley and mint.  From my produce drawer I also threw in some grape tomatoes, red bell pepper slices, shredded carrots and blueberries.  Shredded carrots are one of my new discoveries - so easy to keep in the fridge and add a salad for crunch.  And yes I put blueberries in my salad - try it and you'll love it.  I also added some chick peas to the salad for protein and tossed it all with a vinaigrette.  My favorite part of this salad was the mint and how it heightened the flavours of everything else. 


No comments:

Post a Comment