Monday, June 18, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch

When rhubarb shows up you naturally think of strawberries and this past weekend I had the chance to go strawberry picking. If you have a chance to get out there this time of year and pick your own strawberries DO IT! The simplest thing I can say is they taste like strawberries which I know sounds ridiculous but if you taste them you'll understand. That night I simply hulled a container full of berries to take to the baseball game. No sugar added or necessary and they were a perfectly sweet treat.

Today though I wanted to use the strawberries and rhubarb together. I found a low sugar recipe for a strawberry rhubarb crunch and I adapted it with my own additions. It was bright & sweet and with a little crunch on the top. What a perfect way to highlight both the strawberries and rhubarb and not overly sweet.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch

4 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 Tablespoon agave nectar
pinch of salt

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 butter, cold and cut into small cubes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a baking dish, mixed together rhubarb, strawberries, agave nectar and pinch of salt. In medium bowl, stir together oats, sugar, almonds, cinnamon and salt. Add butter and crumble the mixture with your hands to form a crumbly mixture. Spread mixture over top of fruit.

Bake in oven for 40 minutes until rhubarb is tender. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment