Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ratatouille!!!

I have been itching to make ratatouille for several weeks now ever since I got my first eggplant from the CSA.  Tonight was the night!  Ratatouille is a traditional, French Provencal stewed vegetable dish.  Julia Child's recipe called for individually saute the vegetables and then layering.  I have mixed the vegetables in an aluminum pouch and steamed them on the grill before for a quick ratatouille.  Tonight I took the more traditional approach and sauteed them in a huge pan with lots of olive oil.  I also used almost every fresh herb I still had in the garden but I did add a pinch of dried, herbes d'provence because quite a few recipes called for it and it includes fennel, lavender and savory. 

I served the ratatouille with a roasted, rosemary chicken and it was a delicious dinner!  I had a second serving of ratatouille.  I think I am going to take the leftover and pulse it in a food processor and serve it with some pita chips as a dip.  Or I may just eat it midnight .  it was that good!

RATATOUILLE
Olive Oil
1 large vidalia onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell, diced
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1 yellow squash, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 medium eggplant, diced
5 plum tomatoes, diced
Salt
Crushed Red Pepper
2 sprigs of rosemary, minced
3 sprigs thyme, minced
1 sprig green oregano. minced
Pinch dried herbes d'provence
10 mint leaves, minced
Handful parsley, minced
Handful of basil, minced

Pour enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a large pan.  Add the onions with a little salt and start sweating them for 3-5 mins over medium high heat.  Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.  Then add all 3 peppers - I don't typically like green bell pepper but I got a small one my CSA this week so I used it here.  I also seasoned again with salt and added some crushed red pepper.  After letting the pepper cook down a little I added the squash & zucchini and cooked for 3 minutes or so.  Then added the eggplant and seasoned again with salt & crushed pepper. Add the tomatoes with the rosemary, thyme, oregano and herbes d'provence.  Reduce the heat to medium and simmer.  You also might have to add more olive oil as you add vegetables since they do tend to soak up the oil.  However long you cook it at this point is entirely up to you but I do add the rest of the fresh herbs at least a few minutes before you serve.  And of course taste and adjust salt & red pepper.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment