Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Saffron Risotto with Summer Squash

I was in the mood for rice tonight so I decided to make risotto.  I love risotto but it is a labor of love and it requires time - there are no short cuts.  This started as a traditional risotto but I added saffron to the stock as well as some other seasoning to heighten the flavour.  Oh and I used the vegetable stock I made the week before I went on vacation. I added the summer squash very late in the cooking process so it kept a little crunch but still had time to absorb the stock and release it's juice into the rice.  This was another one of those make it up as you go along so I'll do my best with the recipe below.  To accompany the risotto I made a salad similar to last night but instead of walnuts I used pecans and instead of beets I added fresh figs - so tasty!

Saffron Risotto with Summer Squash
Olive Oil
Onion, diced
Garlic, minced
Arborio rice
Vegetable Sock
Good pinch of saffron
Black peppercorns
Fennel seeds
Bay leaf
Kosher  Salt
Summer squash, diced
Parmigiano Cheese, grated


In a pot, add the stock, saffron, peppercorns, fennel seeds, bay leaf and pinch of salt and bring to a simmer. 
Meanwhile saute the onion in olive oil with salt until softened and then add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic. Add the arborio rice and saute for a few minutes. Add 1 cup of strained stock at a time and simmer the mixture while stirring continuously.   Once the stock has cooked out add another cup and continue process for about 25 minutes.  After adding last cup of stock, add summer squash so it can cook as well.  Just before serving grate in some parmigiano cheese. 

The trick to this and any risotto is adding the stock a little at a time and stirring while it cooks out - this develops the starch in the rice and makes the risotto creamy.  And cooking it over a medium to low heat. 


SAFFRON RISOTTO WITH SUMMER SQUASH




No comments:

Post a Comment