Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Apple Crisp with Honey Cinnamon Ice Cream

I've done a couple of posts about pumpkins this fall so I thought today I'd turn my attention to the other abundant crop this time of year - apples.  However I don't have my own recipe to post tonight because when it comes to baking I tend to relay on others expertise.  I am a big fan of Ina Garten because she loves to cook classic dishes with a twist to elevate the flavours but doesn't make things too complicated.  I have been itching to make some type of cinnamon ice cream and of course what would go better with that then apple crisp. This past weekend afforded me the perfect opportunity as we were having a family get together. 

For the apple crisp check out Ina Garten's recipe here - I didn't change a thing but really appreciated the citrus zest and juice especially with it being both lemon and orange.  My crisp didn't crisp up in the 60 mins cooking time so I then turned on the broiler and cooked it for a few minutes more - beware I did not leave the oven during this time because a second too long and it could easily burn.

In my quest to find a cinnamon ice cream I thought it would be even better to find a one that used honey as the sweetener instead of sugar. I also didn't want to make what I'm discovering is a custard ice cream base and those use eggs.  So I wanted a more simple preparation.  I found the perfect recipe in terms of what I was looking for here and it turned out to be delicious. This is the reason I bought the ice cream maker - the chance to make flavours you don't find in the store when you have an inspiration. 

This was the epitome of a fall dessert - sweet apples with a crispy crunch and a creamy, warm ice cream melting over the top. Yummy!

APPLE CRISP & HONEY CINNAMON ICE CREAM

No comments:

Post a Comment